SEO or Search Engine Optimisation is a key foundation of getting your website to the top of search engines such as Google, Bing, or Yahoo. While SEO is complex, there are different ways you can improve your efforts to gain more traffic back to your website. The more traffic you direct to your website, the better your rankings will be. If you’re unsure, here’s some expert SEO tips and tricks on how you can improve your website rankings for better returns in the long term. Let’s get started.
Best Ways To Improve Your Website Ranking With SEO
- Create A Mobile Friendly Website
A mobile friendly or responsive website is a website that adjusts the screen size to any device. This allows your visitors to view your website more effectively without the website being out of proportion with the small screen they’re using. While newer website owner are all creating websites with a responsive design, older websites and those who are brand new to the website world, tend to still use the default design. It’s important that you upgrade your website to a responsive and mobile friendly design as soon as possible. You’ll find that visitors won’t stick around long if the website doesn’t show up properly on their screen. Some benefits to a mobile friendly website are:
- More potential customers as many people use mobiles to search these days.
- Able to be seen by anyone who visits your site no matter the device that’s used.
- Gives you a more professional appeal to your visitors.
- Lowers your bounce rate and increases the time visitors are on your website.
- Gives you the ability to be able to earn more money in the long run.
If you haven’t already, covert your website to a responsive design to help improve your SEO efforts.
- Improve Your Page Speed
One of the biggest killers in your website ranking is the speed at which your pages or website loads. How does this affect your SEO efforts and website ranking you ask? A slow website can affect your SEO efforts in one major way:
- The slower it is to load the more people will abandon their search through your website. This will cause a high bounce rate which means that more and more people are leaving your website. When you don’t gain a lot of visitors through your website, your ranking drops.
To improve your page loading speed, there’s a few different things that you can work on. These include:
- Removing any large graphics or animations which may be affecting the loading time.
- Upgrade your hosting plan to incorporate a high handling capacity of what your website is about.
- Minimize HTTP requests and enable compression of files.
- Minimize/Remove unnecessary information, images or videos on your website.
- Reduce the amount of plugins you have on your website.
- Remove any pages which have errored or are no longer relevant.
- Reduce the need for redirects when visitors need to load pages.
Improving your website speed is a great way to help improve your overall SEO efforts and website ranking. The quicker visitors can gain access to your site the better.
- Remove Duplicate Content
You may have heard the saying, content is king? This is very true, especially when you want to help build your website ranking. When creating content for your website it’s important that you remove any duplicate content.
You can use plagiarism checkers such as Copyscape.com to check to see whether you’re writing duplicate content. When there’s duplicate content found on one or more websites, it makes it harder for popular search engines to categorize and rank it appropriately. When this occurs, Google will then decide whether a certain website can offer visitors more than the other, thus choosing one based on its usefulness. This can hurt your website ranking greatly. Duplicate content can be found in:
- Website content (about us, homepage, services page, contact us page etc.)
- Product descriptions
- Blogs or articles
- Titles of articles
These are just some of the areas where duplicate content can be hiding. Completing a site wide check will help you to work out where the duplicate content is and which areas need fixing.
- Create Strong Backlinks
Backlinks are links on other authority websites which link back to your website. Backlinking, when done right can help to improve your website rankings greatly. However simply linking back to your site on any website isn’t good enough. Some of the best ways to gain strong backlinks to your website include:
- Google Places – Registering your business website with Google Places or other business directories allows you to have a strong backlink to your website. It also allows your visitors to also find you a lot easier as well.
- Social Media Platforms – Using social media platforms and linking back to your website is another great way to score a backlink to your website. Social media platforms also open up new possibilities to gain more customers and clients as well.
- Guest Posting – Guest posting on other authority websites is another great way to help improve your website ranking. However, when you write a guest post for a website it’s important to not promote yourself in anyway throughout the article. Articles need to be written for their audience and should be informative and useful. The link to your website should only be in the author bio or if allowed in the article itself once.
Overall the more backlinks you have back to your website the higher you’ll grow in your website ranking. However, try to avoid writing content just to gain a backlink. You’ll find the more knowledgeable you are on a subject, the more you’ll gain natural organic traffic back to your website anyway.
SEO is a complex and ongoing process. However if you want to improve your efforts it’s important to consider everything to ensure you begin to see results in your rankings sooner rather than later. So are you going to implement any of these tips?
Aaron is the co-founder of Studio 56 and is a passionate digital marketing expert who has worked with some of the largest digital marketing agencies in Australia. He has been working in the digital marketing field for ten years. Aaron loves to travel the world to not only enhance his cultural experiences but learn and enhance his skills in the digital marketing industry. He is dedicated to helping others reach their online marketing goals.